luni, 4 noiembrie 2013

A ballad of bones



           A BALLAD OF BONES
                                                                                  by Alin Dărângă
                                                                             The Obsidian Sun Society


I often recall those places, the marble columns fallen under coarse moss, the black, knarred  branches of the trees, the worn-out tombstones, covered by undecipherable inscriptions. I remember the white manor, perched on top of the loess hill, the endlessly melancholic September afternoons when I wandered, alone or accompanied by Hermann, under an unreal blue sky, searching for pheasant nests and gathering the fossils which drew hieratic rock carvings on  the fissured cliffs surrounding the lake.
Passing the butchers market, we used to buy barbecued sheep from old Omar, aghast by the  grinning skulls that were looking at us, skinned and bloody. Afterwards, we descended the cobbled streets to the tavern where, at night, women with ivory thighs used to dance with dervish-like moves. At daytime, this place was almost empty, so we sat at a table, ordered some wine and apricots and talked with the travelers who stopped to enjoy the shade of the tavern.
Hermann had an old bone flute, with strange inlays, received from abroad. He used to play melancholic, eerie songs which saddened me terribly, without knowing why and frightened away the cats sheltered in the surroundings, but the owner of the tavern seemed to enjoy them very much and always invited us to play.
I used to drag an ancient lute, trying to learn the craft and sometimes accompanied him, although I often preferred to drink and listen to Hermann singing.

                                                            *
Outside, a huge wave of snow was blown by the winter winds over the park, swallowing half of the tree trunks. Some patients are walking along the frost covered path, accompanied by relatives or friends. In the morning, when I drink my coffee, I like to check if my old fingers still obey, trying to lift the heavy stone statue that keeps my window closed and to sit it on the floor.
From the attic room which I inhabit I look into the sanatorium court. Ivy is creeping unimpeded on dilapidated walls and crawls over the old trees bark, as a Driade. Nurses have the feeling that I am looking at them and wave to me, smiling. I see some of them daily, for years now, but I am reluctant to approach.
I do not like their optimism, that warm touch on the shoulder that they believe to cure anything. Anything but the emptiness I feel since Hermann disappeared….


                                                              *

I wandered through the old cemetery, with my board and paints gathered together in a cloth bag, nibbled and stained. I hoped these places would inspire me so I had left Hermann sleeping and headed out to the market, where I had bought some bread and figs, then turned on the dusty trail, covered with weeds, the sound of my feet scaring away snakes and gray grasshoppers that hid in the withered bushes.
The air hung an aroma of wild thyme and rosemary…Sometimes, when I passed by a herd of goats I asked the child that was guarding them to fill up with milk a pot that I carried with me.
The goat would then obey the small, sunburned hands, bleating softly and foamy milk was spurting, warm and smelling like grass.

Perhaps the Devil urged me that day to avoid the vineyard, where scented juices was fermenting quietly hidden inside the ripen grapes, and to head for the cemetery, where slabs laid scattered like the bones of a giant, among the weeds hit by drought.
And it was still the Devil who pushed me forward to the grave of the Old Landlord, the one whom grandfather bitterly spoke about in the winter nights when the blizzard howled outside like a rabid wolf, above the chimneys, while grandmother was baking pumpkin pie.
We crouched beside the fireplace and listened enamored to the stories that our old man told, while twisting his parchment foil and filling it up with tobacco.

-          My beloved children, he sighed, smoothing his whitened moustache, there were times that you did not get to experience, and of which it might be useful for you to learn, so that you could understand how much blood and sweat your ancestors have shed on these lands…It happened when I was a lad, around these places, that there lived a cruel and evil landlord, as black-hearted as the cauldron on the bottom when you put it off the fire. And he received tribute from each of us, villagers, every year. If you did not give him what he considered to be his lawful right, he would send his servants to take the pig from your yard and the corn from your barn. I was married with a woman from another village back then. One year, there came a terrible drought, which arose a dry hot wind from the East, along with a red dust, that settled everywhere, on our faces, on the linens, on the food and over the water that the cattle and the horses drank. Elders said that it was a sign of dire times and war, but I was young and I used to make fun of their words, as you laugh now, while you watch the pie coming out of the oven. And I left the village to work when the lord came to take his toll. In front of our fence, my wife begged him to leave us just a little more time to get the money, she told him that the drought has withered the leaves of the plants, that the corn was not ripen yet and that she could not give him any of the pigs, because we would starve to death at winter. Then, the landlord glanced at her and started laughing.
-          Why are you laughing, My Lord?  Look, nothing remained to feed my child! We had a wonderful boy, he was three years of age, and he was hiding behind his mother’s skirt, staring at the landlord. The bastard laughed again, turned to his servants and cried:
-          Take everything that you can find! Look everywhere, I am sure that they have hidden away some gold from us!
Then, he whipped his horse and left. When I came home after two weeks I have found an empty yard and my wife in the grave, brokenhearted by grief. They have stolen everything, even her dowry, and they have ripped off her earrings. The landlord’s name was Dragomir. He died a month later, when his mansion burned to the ground. The servants have fled when ignited, but he was closed in a room with his lover and when he had realized the danger, it was too late. No one knew who set the fire, and nobody managed to find out, but you probably guess now…And they built a large stone tomb, and  they had put in his scorched bones, all that remained from him  after the fire. Afterwards, his only son fled abroad and nobody has seen him ever since….


                                                         *

So, there I was, in front of this cursed mausoleum, watched over by the granite statue of an angel, which stood there mourning, with an arm bent over his moss-covered forehead. Ruin seemed to have engulfed the whole building, only the carved head of a goat stood over the entrance, like a guardian of both life and death. I went in and descended the stairs covered by mould that lead to his crypt. Down there, among rotting boards, blackened by damp and spider webs that formed a curtain over the walls,  scattered bones laid squired, aged by the fire and the years. I touched them, hypnotized, and, without realizing, I began to reconstitute his body. And when I have finished my macabre work, I then realized that the femur was missing. And then I knew where Hermann has got his flute from…And I realized who Hermann was, and why he always avoided speaking about his father and grandfather. And then I felt hatred, the same hatred that I have felt in my oldman’s eyes and voice.

                                                             *

I am alone now, with my paintings and statues. I have left the village for decades. People said that I had left because I could not bare the loss of Hermann. The house we used to inhabit had burnt to the ground, and everybody, knowing how much Hermann enjoyed to drink and smoke, assumed that he had felt asleep with his cigarette lit…In the yard of the sanatorium, visiting hours are over and patients return to their rooms. A little girl looks up to me and smiles. I smile to her and sip some coffee. I had put too much sugar in it.. None of my visitors understand why I never carve bone statues and why I hate flute tunes. But you probably guess now…..

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu