luni, 4 noiembrie 2013

Livia ( english version)



                                            LIVIA
                                                                                                        by Alin Dărângă
                                                                                       THE OBSIDIAN SUN SOCIETY

My dark childhood memories begin with the image of the house that I inhabit, a building as old and sad as a monastery, with its cold walls through which mice roam. Butterfly nymphs sleep in the crevices that cross these walls, waiting for the metamorphosis. Rust has bitten deep into the pale flesh of the old railing, decorated with wrought iron arabesques, that descends to the hideous darkness of the basement.
   I recall my often walks on the corridor, through the dreadful light that was dripping through the windows, listening to the terrifying groaning winds that wove their wet voices in a rough and doleful litany.
My grandmother disapproved the odious pleasures that I was engaged in, and each morning I had to swallow a rancid oily liquid that emitted a foul stink of rotten fish. She was hoping that this remedy will enhance my appetite and straighten my morbid compulsions, abnormal for a child of my age. Except for the persistent nausea that I was experiencing, its only effect was the attraction that I was casting upon homeless cats, the only beings that I have ever felt sympathy for.
I remember a melancholic summer afternoon, when silence reigned above the empty squares which I walked through during my solitary walk. Above dry fountains, wrinkled statues elongated thirsty shadows on the streets paved with cubic stone.
The silhouette of a girl was disquieting shriveled building walls, rolling a circle that seemed to expand and contract under the slanting rays of the sun. I was trying to draw something on the sidewalk with a piece of chalk, but my eyes stopped on  that circle, which seemed to wrap around it the facades and to elongate them to the horizon. Then I have seen the black arms of the cranes, looming on the sky, trying to rebuild the city from the ruins that the war had left behind.
     A giant statue of Apollo was rising from the leaf decorated marble columns that laid defeated under the rubble, and when the clock tower bells announced the end of an hour, the white body of the god seemed to startle easily, troubled by the chaos and the irrationality of the world that he had been thrown in.

  Later that day, my grandmother and I left to the cemetery. On our way we stopped in front of a sweetshop. Dusty chalk looking cakes were displayed in the window, covered with a pink icing and inside, on the counter, stood a scale, wrapped in grey paper, surrounded by jars full of sweets.
We bought a few candies  and passed by the hairdresser, where always a whiff of cologne perfume and talcum powder seemed to stand motionless in the air, heading towards the sinister cemetery gates. Bathed in that mysterious sunlight, the faces of the dead, as portrayed on the brown photos displayed on the tombs seemed crushed by regrets….

Learning how to read at that time, I tried to spell the names chiseled on the tombstones, but my favorite activity was robbing the trees that were growing on the graves. My grandmother forbade me to eat those fruits and warned me that they bared the fluids from the dead. Eating them would have lead to plague, but I could not help myself and sneak behind her, eating their juicy flesh.
Near the tomb of my grandfather  there stood a smaller one, covered by withered flowers, seared by the sun. A sad rustle sang among them and above, an old cherry tree bent expectantly over the boulders dried by drought. From its bark raisin was dripping amber tears…
I picked the few remaining cherries, raisined on the branches, and swallowed them all, with the stone.
They had a harsh, bloodlike taste and, for a second, I remembered what grandmother had told me. The cross stone was broken, covered by a layer of coarse moss, and my fingers managed to decipher the name Livia  but the other letters were too worn so that I could understand. The thick glass over the photo was cracked, scratching the oval of a pale face, framed by curls, blue eyes, shadowed by grief. So strange was the beauty of those eyes, that I dreamed about them that night. Their unnatural light seemed to give too much life to the one that should have slept forever in the shadow of that old cross.
   
  After twelve days I started to feel sick.  The walls of the narrow and poorly furnished room in which I lived seemed to fall upon me and my whole body was shaking uncontrollably  because of chills. The doctor who came to see me spoke softly with my grandmother, then scribbled a prescription and left. He supposed I got sick of smallpox and I had to be shut in the house for two weeks. Two weeks that had turned me into the monster I am now…

My skin was covered with pustules that irritated me to exasperation and nights were haunted by a fever that scorched my dreams with horrible fantasies. Most often, the face that I have seen in the cemetery appeared in my delirium and its eyes caused me a fascination mixed with horror. But the worst thing was the smile imprinted on the lips that turned to dust long ago, lips that kept whispering something, too dreadful for my childish mind…
   

After a few days my face was covered with purulent peel, a hideous mask too little reminiscent of the one I have been some time before. When I tried to speak or eat my skin cracked imperceptibly, bleeding and bringing me often on the verge of faint.

A fetid sweat accompanied by chills and apathy wrapped me in a shroud of painful weakness, I had become a living corpse , a decaying thing that only my merciful grandmother dared to approach. I remember her hands, small and wrinkled, the only hands that touched me ever since.
Those hands have anointed my skin with the cursed, greasy pomade brought from the African drugstore. On the box, strange, unknown words, in a language that I did not know were entwining ……
    
                                                                           *
Although I was born a man, I am often confused with a woman, mostly  because of the hair that I grew long, covering the horrible scars that furrow my face. I remember the terror that I have felt when I peeled down the crust that surrounded my forehead and cheeks, in front of the mirror. Under the stained bandage strips, I clearly saw rising Livia, her monstrous gentle smile,  the same full lips, the color of rotten cherries…………
  
I rarely leave my street because I meet disgusted smiles on the faces of people. Only cats that have sheltered around my house look at me without frowning. In their eyes I see beyond  the understanding of my peers.  On moonless nights I drag myself in the gloom of the cemetery and there, in front of the tomb  of the young  woman that I used to be I mourn the misery of the wrecked man. Neighbors nicknamed me  The Crazy Cat Lady  but you can  say simply, Livia………

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu